The Department of Philosophy is home to some of the best and brightest students at The University of Alabama. You’ll explore life’s ultimate questions and develop the analytical skills to articulate, investigate and answer those questions — at UA and beyond.
Philosophy’s emphasis on careful reading, precise writing, and logical reasoning provides students with the intellectual discipline required to pursue virtually any career. Here are some of the paths taken by our graduates:
- Academia: Some of our alumni have completed graduate programs and are now professors of philosophy, English, and psychology.
- Medicine: A number of philosophy majors have pursued careers in medicine. For example, a recent graduate completed a nurse practitioner program, and others have gone on to medical school to pursue neurosurgery, pediatrics, and family medicine.
- Business: Some of our students develop rewarding careers in business administration.
- Law: Many of our graduates go on to law school, with recent graduates attending The University of Alabama, Harvard University, New York University, The University of Virginia, and Yale University.
Graduate and Professional School
Philosophy majors do extremely well on various standardized tests:
- Philosophy majors perform better on the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) than political science, English, and history majors.
- Philosophy majors perform better on the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) than biology, health science, and nursing majors.
- Philosophy majors score the highest on the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE).
- Philosophy majors perform better on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) than economics, statistics, finance, and accounting majors.