- PhD, UCLA, 1995
- MA, UCLA, 1987
- BA, Hampshire College, 1985
Dr. Alter specializes in philosophy of mind and philosophy of language, especially consciousness and the mind-body problem.
Fall 2021 Office Hours:
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 12:20pm-1:10pm & by appointment in person or via Zoom
- “Physicalism without fundamentality.” Forthcoming (and available in Early View) in Erkenntnis 10.1007/s10670-020-00285-6.
- “Russellian monism and mental causation” (co-written with Sam Coleman). Nous 55 (2), June 2021: 409-25 10.1111/nous.12318.
- “The structure and dynamics argument.” Nous 50 (4), December 2016: 794-815 10.1111/nous.12134
- Consciousness in the Physical World: Perspectives on Russellian Monism (co-edited with Yujin Nagasawa). New York: Oxford University Press, 2015.
- “Social Externalism and the Knowledge Argument.” Mind 122 (2013): 481-96.
- The God Dialogues: A Philosophical Journey (co-written with Robert J. Howell). New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- A Dialogue on Consciousness (co-written with Robert J. Howell). New York: Oxford University Press, 2009.